Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mental Load

"...New Student Orientation...will be a healthy balance of practical and fun."
-Office of Student Services 


I think anticipation really is killing me.
When I made it into med school, I screamed. Bubbling over with enthusiasm, I couldn't wait to go to class and learn what it is to be a healthy human being. The knowledge of going somewhere else floated me through the rest of senior year, and reassured my otherwise planless existence.
Now, basically three months from the beginning of summer, I'm terrified of everything.
I already knew I was going to be young for this school. Now I'm pretty certain that I'm the youngest. All of my fellow entering classmates will, on average, be about 9 years older than I and also hold at least one more advanced degree, if not several more advanced degrees.  It also sounds like many won't have to work their way through school, are generally in better fitness than I am, and have more general skills than I do. Also, they can afford to live closer to the school than I can.
To top it off, all students are expected to be available for classes Monday through Friday from 7am to 5pm or 7pm. Oh, goodness. What have I gotten myself into? Can I even survive it?
Orientation starts on September 7th, and I wish it was here already. I am tired of tormenting myself with all of these maybes and mightbes and pleasedeargodnobes. I know I can do this, I just need to stop thinking about it so much.

Augh.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! You have enough fire and passion in you to take on all of those many-degreed fit rich people. AND you're ridiculously motivated and hold yourself to a high standard. AND you love what you're doing, and that's all they can ask for anyway. And if you ever need to complain/rejoice or whatevs with another "youngest" - I'm here :)

    ReplyDelete