Friday, July 2, 2010

omgponies.

I think that I've adjusted rather well to my temporary unemployment. I wake up to the birds singing, take the dog out to get the paper, and then, after a quick breakfast of cheerios, I go volunteer at the Kid's Connection ranch.
They're still teaching me a lot of the skills that I'll need to be useful, but as a somewhat adequately experienced animal handler, I assisted the visiting vet today by leading and holding 8 horses while they got their shots- from a Clydesdale sweetheart named Sierra to the wildborn three year old mustangs, Lakota and Cheyanne.  I've also gotten a lot better at riding, mainly on the above mentioned Sierra. Slowly, over the rest of the summer months, I'll be taking over more responsibility until I can hopefully work them sans helmet.
The purpose of the ranch is really neat- they exist as a non-profit organization that takes horses and pairs them with neglected children. Or goats, or chickens, or whatever level the kid is at. They have a playground, an organic garden, and really committed owners whose real goal is just to prove that a) there are really nice people out there, and b) all these kids can experience love.
Horses are used therapeutically in many situations, and there's not much that overwhelming support, a horse, and some love can't help.
What a great dream. I'm excited to continue contributing to this great cause

No comments:

Post a Comment