Sunday, July 25, 2010

sans shoes.

I love to camp. I love the way that moss catches on fire, and the way that hot dogs bubble and crisp. I love wearing nothing but a swimsuit for days, and floating the same patch of river eleventy-billion times. I love learning new knots and leaves and foraging skills, and that exasperated last car trip in where you break down and buy some "Off" and a camp hatchet, and maybe three more chocolate bars.
There's something magical about the sense of community one develops when returned to the wild, the comfortable silence, the skittering field mice.
Waking up to dawn in the treetops and glitter on the water, I can relax and let go. I find peace and revel in it. Being unplugged and out of contact does wonders for becoming centered and refocusing on the things that really matter.

That being said, boy do I love showers. and the internet. and food that is not hot dogs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment