Thursday, September 29, 2011

Locals.

A classmate of mine made a "What is that thing in the sky?" joke today, which is an acceptable comment on the weather 80% of the time in Oregon. "Better soak it up before it rains for the next ten months."
To which I replied "There's still sun on the rainy days, and we get way more sunbreaks than Washington."
Then he stepped over the line and replied "You Oregonians are so defensive!"

So I had to explain to him that all year long, we hear non natives whine about the weather, the economy, the politics, and the way of life here, and all of us natives wish that if the non natives don't like it very much, they would just move back out. Instead of complaining about the (normal state occurrence) here.

I don't go to Pennsylvania and complain that it's hot and flat there, bro. I don't move to New York City and whine about how it was so much quieter at my rural home. I don't live in Georgia and then complain that I have allergies to all of the plants there. I moved up to Washington, thought their recycling program sucked in my locale, missed taking beer cans in for my refund, hated the increase in rain and the decrease in temperature- and you know what I did? As soon as I could, I packed up and moved back to a state that I like. Oregon.

This state is like my family. It's ok for me and other natives to make fun of it- but the instant an out-of-stater starts jumping in, we turn on them and defend our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment