Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day Two: the light breaking through the hills.

I arrived early to meet my mentor, who graciously provided me with one of the books that I needed but couldn't afford, and then I strolled over to the bookstore and bought a coloring book. I studied for around 4 hours in the morning, and then went to Organ Systems 1 for the first time.

I don't think I took a single note. Not only did I know everything in the first lecture, I knew it in more depth than the instructor was covering. Looking at the syllabus, I think this trend may continue for a couple weeks. Just a guess, of course, but at least I don't have to break my mind studying for this class so far.

After Organ Systems I had Somatic Re-Education, which you may have heard of as Orthobionomy. It's a very subtle body work that serves to draw the body's attention to any patterns it may be holding, then it works to exaggerate the pattern for a few seconds. The exaggeration of the pattern serves as a message to the body saying "Hey, will you look at this? Do you want this?" and then the body has the chance to preserve the pattern, which is a protective mechanism, or to  release the pattern. Sort of a "Oh hey, we're done with that. Not sure why that was still on" thing.
I need people to practice on, by the way. At least two people, but I have to turn in four patient case sheets, so four would be better.

It was really nice to do something so hands on, and over the course of the class, my neck felt way better, my arms became the same length, and I had some major GI tract tension release that the teacher actually had to do so that my fellow student could work on our general release pattern.

We all hold more tension than we need to, held in the memories of our every day lives. That millisecond whiplash becomes a protective mechanism, as the body holds onto the shock and begins protective measures which hold some muscles taught (so that your head doesn't fall off!) and other muscles slack. Sometimes that pattern will hold far beyond the danger of your head falling off , and then the pattern becomes "normal". Then, what I would do is observe the pattern- say, anterior flexion in the neck- and then I would help your body exaggerate the comfort that it finds in that pattern. I would help flex your neck even more. On the way out of the pattern, the body has a chance to say "wait a minute, I'm not in danger of having my head fall off. I can let go of this" or a chance to say "I'm still in danger of my head falling off, this is protecting me."
The best thing is that even legislators have recognized the medicine in that there is no license to practice this method because it does not cause injury. There are zero reports of this method making people worse. The worst it can do is nothing at all.

And so, day two was much, much better than day one. I feel much better about it. and I'm going to try to take the bus to school today.

No comments:

Post a Comment