Monday, November 1, 2010

Just Keep Swimming!

I've always been that kid. You know the one, with the mostly straight A's and the glasses that never really tries very hard? Whizzing through genetics and Latin American history with the complaint of being bored...Partying on Wednesdays for lack of something better to do...capable of cleaning the house, working three jobs, and going to class on the same day.
Well, midterms are over here at med school.
For the first time in my life, I failed something.
Two somethings, really.
And what gets me is that when I went back in to talk to the professors, I really knew what was going on- I just didn't test well for it.

How do you solve that? I've never been in that situation ever before in my life. I lost my weekends to homework, my social life to studying, and now I have to figure out testing.
I'm at a near-pass, and  I've got three more chances to bring it up to pass or I'll have to remediate.
I guess the moral of the story is that not only do you never stop learning- you never stop being tested either, and that there will always be more challenges on the path.
Just because you're chosen for something doesn't mean the path will be easy. Anything worth having is worth fighting for, studying for, losing sleep over, and testing well on.

And on that note, I have some extra studying to do.

1 comment: