Sunday, January 9, 2011

Underachieving is for Squares.

I've been working out seriously for 9 days, now, and I've learned a lot about myself in that time.
The first thing I learned is that I'm really good at underachieving because I'm afraid to fail. I've failed a lot, physically, because for the last seventeen years, I thought I had a deficient state of health, and that I couldn't physically attain being healthy. In the last three months, I've gotten stronger, felt more energetic, and started to heal. It's going to be a long process, but I healed enough that when the in-laws got my husband and I a rather intense workout program that they themselves had had success with, I thought I was strong enough to try.
On day one, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep up, that my soft body wouldn't be able to handle the work out and that I'd pay in days of pain for just trying.
But you know what?
I did it anyway. I did the best I could, probably not even 60% of the video, but trying to keep up. And then I did day 2. And then I did day 3. And now it's day 9, and the video sequence is on it's second repeated video. I did so much better this week than last week! Maybe even 60% of the video, and lots of things that I did for the full time, even if there weren't quite so many repetitions.

Underachieving doesn't bring you that satisfaction that working hard to do your best does. Maybe that's not a surprise to you (why am I always surprised that there's two r's in surprise? I always spell it wrong once and then have to correct it.)  but it's been a little life changing over here, for me.
For me, it's been compliment city. The changes in my tone and definition a visibly noticeable, and this achievement (not Underachievement) has allowed me to look in the mirror and say "Hey, You're looking good today, body."  I'm pleased with my progress, and even more pleased that I have a plan to obtain more progress. By spring break, I'll be smoking hot (at least to myself, which is the only person who gets to count in self image anyway) and I'll be able to do so much more without getting tired or needing a break. Or a cookie.
I learned other things too, but I haven't quite thought of how I want to write them down. So instead, enjoy some first week progress shots.

 This is the amount of fitness I had attained with diet and yoga alone. I don't have any "pre-healthy" photos that are useful, but use your imagination to see this as a dramatic improvement.


And then see how much awesome I've worked up in just one week!

And I'm going to get so much healthier!

1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes that is a huge change for a week!

    I am so happy for you, that you kept going!

    Keep trucking along, you are going to be smokin'. And you are right, you are the only person who counts in self-image. Thanks for pointing that out :)

    ReplyDelete