Saturday, January 29, 2011

Yes, we know what causes this.

Clearly, my muddled state of mind didn't allow me to fully go into the questions that I've been asked since my dad leaked the news all over facebook. (and seriously, who expects their Dad, their one and only dad, who can't even upload a photo by himself from a camera to the internet, to leak the news on the biggest social networking site of all time?)
But here I am, it's Saturday morning at 6 am, I had to wake up to go pee (again) and this time I couldn't go back to sleep. May as well not do homework ;)

First of all, the first question I got (and from that notorious dad) was "You know what causes that, right?"
and the answer is, yes. Yes we do. I think it's a little sweet that we managed to get knocked up, even with us working totally opposite schedules and me in med school. Hurray that our marriage is strong enough that we still manage to have sex, despite all of the stress and the homework and the time constraints. Actually, if you really want me to get into it, I just covered reproductive physiology at school (ironic, I know) and I could draw you up the prostaglandin complexes that sperm have riding with them to cause uterine contractions to get up to the infindibulum to fertilize the egg that's still riding the leutinizing hormone spike from ovulation. The truth of the matter is, yes. We knew that having sex could make babies, and we did it anyway. And we enjoyed it.

The next question I'm getting all the time is- when are you due?
According to my record keeping, I'm due on October 4th. This hasn't been confirmed by a midwife, but I figure I've taken vertebrate embryology, justisse fertility awareness, and reproductive physiology. I'm capable, at this point, of figuring out my own due date. I ovulated on January 11th, and had sex 5 days prior, which means I conceived on the 11th or 12th.  (and that conception shouldn't have happened! 2 days of inhospitable conditions for those spermies before cervical mucous kicked in with all it's fructose and protein structure help.) 38 weeks from conception, or 40 weeks from last period, both say early October. My mom ran really late with me, and it's hard to tell if the due date was not calculated correctly, or if my family just runs late.

A collection of questions that I won't answer in depth-
Yes, we're keeping it.
Yes, we have names picked out.
No, we're not telling you the names yet.
No, I'm not planning a hospital birth.
Yes, we're going to see a midwife.
Yes, I've been taking prenatal vitamins for a while.
No,  I can't have sushi.
Yes, I wish I could have sushi.
No, I'm not cleaning up the litter box.
No, we weren't trying for a baby
Yes, we were actively Not trying for a baby.
and Yes, we're both going to finish school still.

one of my favorite questions so far-- "So, I'm confused. I've never slept with a man with a penis, but how is [having a baby] a surprise?"
She was deadly serious too, as if each sperm cell was an egg-seeking, heat-guided decepticon with the end of the world as its only goal. My husband and I have been having sex for years, and we've never run into baby-making trouble before, which is how it became a surprise. Though, I'm pretty sure I knew that something was strange and different three days after conception, which makes the pregnancy test something more like a confirmation of a truth I had been unwilling to face, despite my exhaustion, nausea, and constant bathroom trips.

Speaking of- that brings us to the most common question- How are you feeling (both emotionally and physically?
And well, I feel like I have a uterine parasite. I'm terrified both that it won't be viable and that it will be. Every day, I wake up and say "good morning, baby! You're doing ok. You're going to be fine." and then spend the rest of the day worrying that I'm going to miscarry. I don't know how I'm going to handle school and a baby, or how we're going to afford a baby. I spend all day feeling incredibly nauseous, which reassures me, because hCG is the hormone responsible for that, and that's a baby sustaining hormone.
I drink ginger tea like it might be the only hope left in the world.
I finished my biochem test quickly, because if I went over it a fourth time, like I usually do, I also might've puked in the trashcan next to Dr. D. I felt this would be a distraction to my classmates.
I also spend all day peeing, as my kidneys adjust to extra blood flow so that filtration for two can begin in earnest. I had to leave somatic reeducation 3 times on thursday to pee and throw up.  Plus, it's like I have superpowers. I can smell that guy's fish, six tables away, and subsequently identify the method of cooking, and what spices he used as I run away from the stench. My boobs have grown half a cup size (like they really needed to....) and I can't lay down on my stomach comfortably because of that. I can pretty much fart on command, thanks to my uterus and its newly expanding shape.
I'm excited and terrified, and I have no idea what I'm doing with a kid- I've never done anything but be in  school. But I have a wonderful support network, and my parents are nearby, and my husband is the most fantastic man in the world, and he was made to be a papa. Also, everything makes me cry. I'm very super emotional. So that's how I'm feeling.

And today is my first prenatal appointment! Jerith is going to get home soon, and then we can both shower (because of my heightened sense of smell, I'm pretty much showering twice a day and brushing my teeth three times as frequently, and carrying deodorant in my purse, and...) and get ready to go! I think I might be my Primary's (at the clinic there's a supervising doctor, who is not always in the room, a primary student, who acts as doctor, and a secondary student, who mostly observes) first patient pregnancy.  Exciting for him and for me, but there's no way in hell I'm letting him do my pelvic exam. I would never be able to pass him in the halls again without thinking "he's seen my vagina."  A student doctor who you see in the lunch room induces some unique social awkwardness.

So there you have it- a complete update, answering all of your questions (maybe.)

9 comments:

  1. I have a new and exciting question to stress you out with... when is the baby shower and who's throwing that bitch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, I don't have any idea.
    According to the baby shower etiquette site I googled, they're typically held 6 weeks before the due date and planned by anyone but the mother. It's apparently normal to have 2- a family one and a friends one.
    I figure I'll just let that idea hang out there for whomever wants to plan it, if someone chooses to do so.
    Probably a good idea to wait until after we find out the sex, which would happen at 20 weeks or so. I'm pretty sure my mom is building a crib, and my mom's best friend is making a quilt, but beyond that, I really have no idea. I have made a baby wishes wishlist on amazon, but mostly it's just maternity clothes for me, because I don't know what those mini-humans need, and I'm already starting to show.
    Now you know as much as I do ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... uh, I hope you don't mind my asking (obviously you don't have to answer! Its the only question I came up with when I found out you're with child, and it wasn't one of the ones posted above...)

    Delivery, is Jerith going to catch and cut the cord, or are you going to catch or are you going to have your midwife do it?

    (also, kudos to you for no hospital! More power to the ladies that go to the hospitals... but I could never do it, they require needles... and I require no needles, so it's a bad fit...)

    I support you 100% hun! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ally- I have no idea. I do know that jerith will be there (after all, he got me into this, he should be there at the end) and that I won't have the cord cut until after the placenta is delivered.
    Hospitals interfere a lot with the process of birth, and I know my body is perfectly capable of doing this without an epidural, not supine, and without all the wires. "Pushed" is a great book that I read a year or so ago that sort of goes through the scientific rates on why everywhere in western europe has less neonate fatality, and it forms a lot of my concepts about the birth process.
    @ sam- thanks! I feel like baby news is my new, 24/7 obsession, so thank you for wanting to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part is your use of the Decpticon analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE reading that :) More power to you darling! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ali,

    You can plan on me doing your shower, you silly. OF COURSE I'll be doing it!

    And thanks for blogging. I almost couldn't read it, as I was completely ROFL.

    Love ya!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ emilie- lol, thanks. I wish I had a picture of the severity of her face. It was Optimus Prime at his most concerned.
    @ sam- d'awww
    @ amy- Hooray! Now I know it'll be fabulous : )

    ReplyDelete