Thursday, August 4, 2011

Under the Weather

I can't tell if being under the weather makes more sense during summer, as though I am not rising to the occasion of the weather, or if it makes less sense.
However, should I not be rising to the occasion, I believe that I would still be under the weather even if it was a fogged in, hailing, raining day interspersed with lightning.
Last Saturday at the clinic, with my mind in a much healthier place than it had been in months previous, I detailed my banged up knee, my out of adjustment cervical, thorasic, and lumbar vertebre, as well as my out of place ribs, and crooked pelvis and a myriad of other health concerns that were pretty much purely physical.
I think this is just going to be a year for complicated health, as this week has proven. I'm glad I have a wonderful health team, because as my new primary exclaimed last Saturday "You don't do anything by halves! Poor thing, you're falling apart!"
I've been advised to not frolic in a river with a banged up knee and a wretched sunburn on 90% of my body, which I think is pretty sound advice. Next year we're definitely packing sunscreen. And I will try to not repeatedly fall down a rock slide merely because I am afraid to let go of my floaty whale. I will let go of the floaty whale and allow someone else to swim downriver to fetch it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, in other health quarters, my yoga teacher/primary care physician has been trying to teach me the art of slowing down. While meditation has become routine (and I'm pretty sure I've worn some prayer beads out this week!) and my inner calm is a little bit more directable, I still prefer a flurry of action to the stillness of staying in one place.
Yesterday, rather than the 20something poses that we normally flow with, I was directed instead to stay in 5 positions over the hour and fifteen minute session.
It was so much harder!
My mind quickly got bored. The poses were harder to maintain in an active form over lengthy periods of time, especially since the other two people who came to class were doing the normal routine. I could feel the good they were doing, but rather than focusing on the breath, maintaining the inner line, the words of a mantra, I was split into halfheartedly maintaining my form, jealously overhearing a regular routine, planning out what I would say for scheduled events days in the future and going over test results in my head.
Clearly, I need to be still. This is a practice I lack, and would like to become good at.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best health news- the afternoon nap has made a resurgence in my daily routine. I'm quite pleased with this, as I've never really understood why economics and business should take precedence over a good couple hour nap just after lunch. No one really wants to do anything after lunch anyways, and don't lie- you know you don't.
Summer afternoon naps <3

No comments:

Post a Comment