Friday, February 4, 2011

option number 4, please.

I had a couple more episodes of spotting yesterday morning, and the cramps started getting worse. I was on 3rd and Jefferson, on my way to school, when I finally decided that if I wasn't in the 30% of women for whom this is normal, I should be at a hospital. So I turned on Clay and went back to highway 26 and drove the twenty minutes to my house and told my husband that I wanted to go to the hospital.

He works there, so he had no trouble driving me (the fastest way) to the parking garage, and then we went in to the emergency room.

I was triaged with low back pain, cramping, and light spotting, but they didn't have any open tables so they sent me to the waiting room. It wasn't a horribly long wait before I was back in the pediatric emergency ward (I guess that's where the first bed opened up.) and the nurse was taking blood pressure and asking me questions and then the doctor came in and asked me the same questions. Then I had to take a pee- pregnancy test to prove that I really am pregnant, because the two tests I took last week and the word of my ND wasn't good enough. After that came back positive (Dr. in the hall talking to the nurse, "Oh, she Is pregnant. Alright.") then I got the whole shebang of all the tests that could possibly be wrong with me. Pelvic exam, two normal ultrasounds, one transvaginal ultrasound, blood draws, fluid cultures.
At the end, the doctor presented 4 options and discharge instructions.

The first option he presented is that it's possible that I had a cyst rupture, because there is a little fluid in my pelvis, and most of it seems to be blood. If this is true, the pregnancy is probably fine but I'll be uncomfortable until I heal up.

The second option he presented was that there is a possibility that even though the early ultrasounds didn't show an abnormalities, there could be an ectopic pregnancy.

The third option he presented was that there is a possibility of an early miscarriage.

The fourth is that I'm totally normal.

So, since it's too early to tell which of those four options it really is, I'm under instruction to take it easy for a bit, and on saturday I get another beta-hCG drawn, and on monday I get another beta-hCG drawn. The level they noted at the hospital yesterday is 965mIU/ml, and in a normal pregnancy it doubles on a fairly regular basis. Once that level is over 2000mIU/ml, an ultrasound should be able to find baby and rule out options 2 & 3. If the beta-hCG falls on saturday, then it's probably option 3 and I need to be really careful to not bleed out.

965mIU/ml is just about 100mIU/ml low for 6 weeks, which makes sense because my cycle is a bit longer than normal, and being in the 5 week range allows for the nearly three weeks (instead of two) before ovulation. 

Needless to say, I'm rather hoping for options 1 &4 at this point. 4 would be best. I would like 4.

3 comments:

  1. Oh honey. <3 I'm praying with you for 4! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for # 4, too!! Except....you aren't really normal... more like super normal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely hoping for #4.. I'm not a praying kind of girl, but for what it's worth I'm thinking about you guys and keeping my fingers crossed! ^_^; Keep us all updated, yes?

    ReplyDelete