Monday, May 3, 2010

Do it right, the first time.

"You're a hard worker. If you worked for me, I'd give you a bonus."
Well, that's fine and dandy. If I wanted to be your servant.

The campus clean up was both rewarding and irritating for me. My family is all military vets who were also farmers, and I think that contributes to a work ethic that you don't really see outside of that background. It's a very simple principle- do what needs to get done as quickly and efficiently as is possible. Don't half-ass a job. Take responsibility and credit for your work.
Yet people seem to have a problem with comprehension.
I'm not saying my approach is the best one. Often, I get so blocked in to the way that I've laid out of how something should happen that I lose track of easier ways to do the job.
But most of the time, if people would just listen to me, we'd get done a helluva lot quicker.

This is also the reason that I'm a bad manager. I see the plan, I can orchestrate it- but no one will listen to me, or if they do, I've already gotten to the point where I'm so frustrated that the only response I give is "get out of the way and let me do it." Ugh, group work. You'll only flub up my vision. It's a very narrow minded and disdainful system. I don't like it. I try to work on encouraging people, and inspiring them to see the problem like I do.
They still have to hear me for that though.
Perhaps I'll work on a command voice.
But I'll always be better at leading by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment