Tuesday, May 4, 2010

musical pretention.

So today I was talking, and I forget precisely how the subject came up- but I made my feelings about guitarists known.

Just for preface, I'll start with how I feel about them in general, realizing that there are probably exceptions to every single generalization that I'm going to make, and that I hold some serious mojo over from being physically and emotionally abused by a couple of them. Nothing sets a stereotype better than several broken bones and years of working in the music industry.

I think guitarists are self centered. I feel like they're so focused on the chord progression that they forget about the soul of music. I feel like they're desensitized to emotional response, tearing everything into the components that I'm so very opposed to. They tend to be focused on the monetary aspects of the music, are generally more likely to defend themselves as a "higher musical caste", and are generally hard to work with as part of a collaborative. They're flakey and expect attention.

I'd like to mention at this point that I do play some guitar. and I've played bass. I'm better at piano and violin, and I prefer to sing.
Moving on.

So, basically everyone in the room was a guitarist. For whatever reason, this appeared to upset them. (Everyone, including drummers, can laugh at drummer jokes- but good lord forbid that a guitarist would laugh at guitarist jokes.)

You know what? If it bothers you so much, prove me wrong.
Look out for someone else, even if it doesn't work with your schedule. Tell us about a piece of music without talking endlessly about chord structure. Share your heart. Empathize with anyone for more than two seconds. Stop being pretentious and admit that you don't know, instead of holding your combative stance which asserts that you're right all the time. Keep in contact, instead of pushing away when things look like they'll get hard. Be on time, for once. Work with someone to create a joint piece of music instead of thrusting your ideas onto everyone else in the band. Get over yourself, in general.

Not being a guitarist, I'll freely admit that I'm wrong. If I am. So, prove it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a proud member of the vocalist club :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a better club ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. im in the vocalist club too! :D ill admit im trying to learn guitar right now though, but i doubt ill be the jaded self-centered type :)

    ReplyDelete