Saturday, May 22, 2010

what now?

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Success is so strange. There's always one more step that we have to take before we're considered "successful". Having just finished a major accomplishment, many of my friends are discomfited by the question "What now?"
So many of us have spent our lives working up to this graduation, this degree, that the notions beyond the piece of paper are vague. So many are expecting to go into the normal ideology -marketing manager, executive assistant, researcher- that many will forget to do what they enjoy doing.
I have an answer for the "what now?" question, and also for the "and after that?" question, and I feel blessed to know what I'm going to do. I'm going to go out there and make a difference. I'm going into a career where my instinct to over-mother everyone will be an asset. I'm going to bandage up the hurting and save the world, one person at a time. I'm going to travel, to inspire, and to breathe life back into whomever I can. I'm going to be a doctor, a helper, a listener wherever people need me. I'm going to have a black bag, for emergency house calls. I'm going to have a horse, and ride off into the sunset at least once.
We all must define success for ourselves....and not let the world tell us what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment